Friday, December 4, 2009

Red Rock 40



I went to this run knowing that I was out to have a fun day, burn some post Thanksgiving calories, and not race. It was just one week post JFK and I was still feeling pretty worn out. Red Rock is a substitute for The Santa Barbara Nine Trail Run. Luis (race director extraordinaire) had warned us this was one tough run. Lots of climbing and lots of rocks. Sounded good to me! About 3 miles in I felt a sharp pain on the top of my foot. I thought it might just be a tight tendon and it would work itself out. Well, it didn't and about an hour later I figured it was a stress fracture. I decided I would drop at the turnaround (20 miles). At least I got to see the whole course since it was an out and back! I got a ride back to the start from Stu Sherman (thank you, thank you) and met up with Kristjan back at the hotel. My foot was hurting pretty bad but we managed to have a great weekend in Santa Barbara soaking up the sun. When I got home Tuesday I went and had an x-ray. The doc said it was probably an old as in 3-4 month old stress fracture that had decided to really break deep at the race. Looking back I have been having foot pain for quite a while but always attributed it to something else and never got it checked out. Now I am in a cast for 6-8 weeks. No fun but lesson learned. I guess I will be well rested for Spring!

No comments: